Monday, October 20, 2008

Zima, we hardley knew ye

Sadly today, MillerCoors LLC announced that it has discontinued production of Zima, choosing instead to focus on other "malternative" beverages.



What?

Who the hell knew this "malternative" beverage still existed? I completely forgot about it years ago.

I remember it's introduction in 1993 (I had to look it up here. It was really popular for tens of minutes back then by, well, almost no-one. Actually, several NJ friends of mine (Tom) and I drank it for the novelty back in the early 90s. But not in public. Or where we knew other people.

I'm pleased to report how far I've come from drinking this clear alcoholic beverage. Of course, those who know me these days know that my favorite alcoholic beverage today is ....vodka.

1 comment:

  1. This is sad news indeed. I spent a summer in 1995 working as an intern at a computer graphics laboratory, and drinking Zima nearly every day. Everyone in the lab did and we emailed Zima, who sent us free t-shirts and asked us if we would make their web site for them (they didn't have one yet, it was only 1995.) We were hoping they would pay us in Zima. Unfortunately the faculty found out what we were up to, and it was not to be.

    Long live Zima! I think I'll head down to the grocery store and see if I can find some Champale....

    ReplyDelete