Friday, October 3, 2008

How would you have handled this?

This happened at work today just as you’ll read here, and I have a witness (you know who you are).

I was in a tradeshow planning meeting this afternoon that included people in my division and others participating on a conference call from other divisions.

The woman who (incredibly) is responsible for our tradeshows is, well, completely inadequate for her position. She seems to be 216 years old and just doesn’t get it. She somehow has 30-plus years with the company. I’m sure way back before telephones she was almost tolerable, but not today. Let’s call her Betty.

Betty’s main goal of tradeshow planning ensuring we have enough Skittles in the booth. I’m not kidding. The frustration level of sitting through her meetings is indescribably high. Being in a meeting with her is like going on the Bataan Death March. She rambles around without sense, makes bizarre comments to no one in particular, writes what looks like scribble but must be her notes, summarizes them, and then restates them during the next meeting. And, she regularly contradicts herself from meeting to meeting.

Unfortunately and frustratingly, while many people within the company are aware of the problem (Betty), it seems as though waiting for her to retire is the corporate plan.

We (the overwhelming majority of the participants, including me) on these conference calls already share a low opinion of this person for a large variety of reasons.

I was shocked at what happened, and thought carefully about how to handle my response.

The conference call ended, but there were a few things left to discuss among the people left in my conference room.

At one point, Betty said someone “Jewed” her down on a price.

I wasn’t looking, but I certainly heard it. I immediately looked up and around to see everyone's reactions. One of my co-workers also looked up and shot me a look, as if to say “WTF, did she really just say that?”

I shot him a look back with the same incredulous look on my face. Several others in the room didn’t react, so I don’t think they heard her what she said.

My heart started to race as I thought to immediately stop her in her tracks and rip her a new one right there. I waited…

She continued along but I was only thinking of how to handle what just happened. I decided to wait and confront her privately after everyone left the room.

So I did. The others finally left, and I moved to the chair directly across from her.

I said “Betty, I need to tell you something.”

She must know what I think of her even before this. I don’t pretend to hide my disdain.

“Yes Doug. What is it?”

“Your comment – about Jewing someone down. Besides being an incredibly ignorant thing to say, it was highly offensive to me because I’m Jewish.”

“Oh, well I guess it’s just a saying.”

“What!?!”

“I guess I should be more careful with what I say.”

“Yes you should.” And with my best disgusted look, I shook my head at her and walked out.

So, I ask for your reaction to what happened.

Would you have –

A – stopped the meeting in its tracks and publicly embarrassed her?

B – handled it privately like I did

C – or put her head right through the %$@^&*#! wall.

4 comments:

  1. Doug-
    You handled yourself beautifully,I have also been a victim of this incredibly ignorant comment (the x's mother,twice) I would have done exactly what you did as to not cause a scene and be the talk of the company for the remainder of the day. Confronting her in person after the fact was the perfect move and as far as I am concerned with this jackass of a coworker-let her go eat skittles elsewhere! Give yourself a raise :-)
    XOXO
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug. Love your blog. Thanks for inviting me to read. This is the THIRD time in 2 weeks I heard this comment of being "Jewed". Its incredible and makes my blood boil. I think handeling it as you did was really the only way to go. To ignore it would have been too much inaction...and to confront in a room full of people may be unprofessional (depending on the office atmosphere). I think the smart thing is to talk one on one. Its an ignorant comment and most often when pointed out is responded to with even more ignorance. Its really a shame people don't realize how much it hurts. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doug -

    In an extremely difficult and emotionally charged situation, you not only did the right thing, you did it with class.

    (I would have also applauded option c).

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. She just handed you a gift on a silver platter. Call HR right away! Your days of putting up with her incompetence are nearing a swift, merciful end.

    -Noah

    ReplyDelete